My Excuses

Thursday, May 5, 2011

All my good intentions seem to fall on deaf ears. Or is it because the constant Jekyll and Hyde arguments in my head are always won by the bad gum. This time it WILL be different. I've signed up for the 12 Week Body Transformation run by Michelle Bridges (think The Biggest Loser) and I'm going to give it my all.

The official kick off date is 23 May but I'm currently undertaking the pre-season task. The second task is titled "Get Real - No More Excuses". As part of this Mish has asked us to reflect on our self sabotaging habits and excuses that we've been using. It took me a while to do it but it is sinking in - I'm already recognising my internal excuses and chatter in my head trying to justify eatting that piece of cake or not doing my exercise.

So now it's time for me to take responsibility for myself. No one else has forced me to eat, no one else has force me to not exercise. I want to become lighter, fitter and healthier and only I can make it happen.

So let's start at the beginning:

My internal excuses (those excuses that I have control over):
  • I have tried and failed so many times before - But I've never done anything like this before. I've never set up my mind to suceed so this time WILL be different
  • I don’t have the willpower - Who needs willpower - just don't eat it
  • It’s the weekend - Now that's a poor excuse - now you've got more spare time to exercise!
  • I can’t be bothered - To bad princess, get it over and done with and you WILL feel better.
  • I’ve already done 'x' exercise this week - Great work but doing a little bit more and not reaching for the chocolate will help speed things up even more
  • I've already eatten 'x' so why stop now - Just because I've tripped up a little doesn't mean I've got to ruin all my hard work.
  • I can't waste this food - Yes I can because otherwise I'm wasting all of my hard work.
  • Its just too hard to workout today - Not every workout has to be full on. Its better to do something than nothing.
My external excuse that I have partial control over:
  • I'm too tired - Well go to bed earlier. If the girls have a bad night its better to do a light session than nothing at all and once you start you might actually enjoy it.
  • Its too dark/cold - You've got a gym membership too so use it
  • Its raining - Go to the gym or use the equipment at home at night once the girls are asleep.
  • I'm too busy/I don't have time - Make time. My health is a priority
  • I'm injured - Train a different section of my body
My external excuses that I don't have control over:
  • Family emergency (eg someone is sick)
  • Work emergency (eg tight work deadline)
For external excuses I'll need to really evaluate if they are truely external and out of my control or just another excuse. If they keep popping up that I know I'm just trying to sidestep my responsiblity to myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP